"In 1891 Mr Leonard West returning from Scotland with a cleek and a golf ball..."


"In 1891 Mr Leonard West returning from Scotland with a cleek and a golf ball..."

So writes Mr Maxwell Jackson, a founder member of the Club, in his historical notes. He continues, "Mr West persuaded R. A. Mossman, of Welton, to try to hit the ball from Mrs West's field, over the brook onto what is now the second fairway. The future of the Club may well have depended on this, but fortunately, Dr Mossman successfully attained the object and became bitten."

In the autumn of that year a meeting was held at the Ferry Inn, Brough, attended by Mr West and Dr Mossman, Mr Gregory and FM and Maxwell Jackson and three or four other gentlemen. After a vote, an annual subscription of 5/- was agreed, not the 2/6d that had been proposed. It was then decided to lay out a 9 hole course and to purchase an old wooden "Monkey House" for use as a Clubhouse, sited on the present 2nd green.

Brough Golf Club was officially recognised by the R & A in 1893. Further land was acquired in 1905, when an 18 hole course was created. The present imposing Clubhouse was purchased, together with three acres of grounds, in 1925 for £3,750. Following additional acquisitions of land, the course was extended and improved in 1933 and 1955.

A post war brochure speaks of the "good golfing qualities of the course... of its superb Clubhouse... and of being greeted with the friendliness, courtesy and first class service of the staff". This is still true today. Brough has retained much of the character of its early days. The Club house with its three reception rooms, lounge, snug and conservatory, its twin counter bar, gracious dining room and its summer terrace take the visitor back to the earlier era. It is very much a Golf Club.